Friday, June 8, 2012

An Anniversary Reflection

The Barnard Banter turned one year old today.  What a year it has been.  Barnard has a great deal to write about, a great deal of history, and a large amount of awesome people.  The year of the Banter has also been the first year that I was actually a resident of Barnard rather than just a visitor.  It has been a great place to settle and I’ve met some great people.
Living here also provided more of a chance to get to know the other residents better.  There are others like me who are new to the community.  There are others that lived here, moved away, and then moved back.   There are others who have lived here all their lives.  I met some while visiting for three years but during the year that I’ve lived here full time, I’ve had the opportunity to cultivate relationships and build trust and respect.
The Barnard Banter grew as well.  There is a great deal to write about.  I’ve concentrated on the good stuff, but on occasion I’ve written a little about the controversial…like the water tower.  The water tower…battle…is over or very nearly over.  I don’t mind losing and if, in fact, I have lost, at least the water tower received more of a fair evaluation than it would have otherwise.  During this issue (and a little during previous experiences), I’ve learned about responsive and non-responsive government.  I’ve learned that there are good and bad politicians at every level of government.  I know that I played by the rules and can look at myself in the mirror every morning and not feel ashamed of the person I see.
I’ve worked to establish the same honesty in the Barnard Banter.  I strive for accuracy and truthfulness.  I haven’t written about everything that I could or should have and I am rethinking that philosophy.  I never will write gossip; it has no place in these pages.  Maybe someday, I will write the whole story of what took place during the battle over the water tower and the adventure of 413 Smith Street.  If I do, I promise it will be the truth. 
The residents of Barnard have shared with me their vision of the town they would like to see Barnard become.  The result of this is the development of Barnard, Incorporated.  The mission of the developing non-profit organization is to help and plan for the economic development in the city of Barnard; record, protect, rehabilitate, and re-purpose Barnard’s heritage and structures; and to develop services that will help provide a reason for people to move here and stay here.  A library that provides homework assistance and tutoring is in the works.  Opening a gas station similar to what Glasco has built is a possible future project.  Barnard, Incorporated is partnering up with the United Way of Salina to host a town meeting at some point in the near future to give residents the opportunity to give suggestions of what they would like to see in Barnard.  One principle that Barnard, Incorporated wants to strongly adhere to is responsiveness to the residents of Barnard.
Barnard is a great place to live and has been a great place to write about for the last year.  I hope to continue to write about it for decades to come.  The story, sometimes happy, sad, angry, and every bit as good as any soap opera, is continuous and never ends.  Memories are created and treasured.  As long as there is a Barnard, I hope its story continues to be told.

No comments:

Post a Comment